Student Insight on Distance Learning

Kaya Hotz

Student opinions on going back to school

Kaya Hotz, Staff Writer

Since March 2020, many school districts across the country, including the St. Paul Public School system, have closed and switched to distance learning due to the coronavirus pandemic. This decision is for the safety of students, teachers, and family members.

Based on an anonymous survey for Central High School students with 33 responses, 46.2 percent of participants said they would stay in distance learning if they had the choice, 38.5 percent said they would go to a hybrid learning style, and only 7.7 percent said they would go back entirely in person.

Distance learning has brought ups and downs for students. Students can now enjoy self-curated routines, more flexibility, and the opportunity to sleep longer. One student said they enjoy that students can take up new hobbies and learn new skills. However, there have also been struggles with distance learning, such as uneven workloads, isolation, technology-related obstacles, time management issues, and motivation difficulties. One student said that having less homework and more in-class time would be beneficial.

With the vaccine rolling out, district officials have been talking about opening schools back up. 69.2 percent of survey respondents said they think we will still be in distance learning by the end of the year, while 23.1 percent think we will be in a hybrid learning system.

Central High School students have differing opinions on how school will be managed. Credit: Kaya Hotz

COVID-19 has made a big impact on our lives and has significantly affected how we do school. The district administration, teachers, and faculty are working hard to navigate the COVID-19 era. These are unprecedented times, and we are all doing the best we can.